Friday 2 January 2015

Seoul 2014: Day 2 Part 1 (Myeongdong Jjajangmyeon 짜장면 - Insadong 인사동)

Hey there! Welcome back to Day 2 Part 1 of the series! =)

This is a continuation of my previous post Seoul 2014: Day 1 (Changi International Airport - Incheon International Airport 인천국제공항 - Seoul Station 서울역 - K-POP Residence Seoul Tower 케이팝 레지던스 서울타워)

Since I had a really late night, I started the next day late (just in time for lunch)! Yes, yes I know I'm lazy haha but after a long day of travelling its best to rest up, especially for the start of the trip!

First up: Lunch!

Since the residence was really close to Myeongdong 명동, lunch was there! I walked around with my friend to try and locate a place to eat and he helped me decide on Jjajangmyeon 짜장면.

This shop has two outlets within Myeongdong 명동 and they sell Korean-style Chinese food like Jjajangmyeon 짜장면, dumplings 만두 and Tang-su-yuk 탕수육 (sweet & sour pork).
Jjajangmyeon 짜장면which was so awesome! The noodles are springy and the sauce is so awesome! There's meat and onions inside as well. A meal enjoyed!

My verdict? If you're all out of ideas about what to eat at Myeongdong, this is a pretty good place to try out! I heard that the Tang Su Yuk is amazing!

Hong Kong Banjeom 홍콩반점

32-1 Myeongdong 2(i)-ga, Jung-gu, Seoul, South Korea 
Telephone: +82 2-778-0410 | Website: www.zzambbong.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After lunch, we made our way to Insadong 인사동.

HOW TO GET THERE: From Myeongdong Station 명동역, we took Seoul Subway Line 4 the subway to Chungmuro Station충무로역 and transferred to Seoul Subway Line 3.  We then took the train to Anguk Station 안국역. Taking Exit 6 and walking straight for 100m upon our exit, we turned left and arrived!

When I first came to Insadong 2 years back, shop signs were only in Korean due to the preservation of culture within Insadong. I was excited to start reading signs and taking the photos to show you guys how awesome they look; but to my shock, things have changed. All of them have English names now along with the Korean. While some have kept their English name in smaller print compared to the Korean name, most have either just the English name, or have the Korean name in smaller print than the English. I WAS REALLY DISAPPOINTED!

Walking along the streets of Insadong 인사동.
Swirly-twirly Ice Cream. Soft Serve Ice Cream is dispensed into this giant twirly cracker/biscuit and enjoyed! This is known for looking better than it tastes.
Poop Bread 동빵 at Ssamziegiel. Didn't get to try it again.
See what I mean by the English words being in a smaller font?
My verdict? Perhaps to me, Insadong has lost some of its cultural charm which got me a little disappointed. Hey travellers out there! Don't make the same mistake I did. Try everything and don't be afraid of anyone judging you or be deterred by what anyone tells you! Look at me missing out on my poop bread 동빵 again! =(

Insadong 인사동
130-4, Insa-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul-si | 서울 종로구 인사동 130-4 일대
Website: www.insainfo.or.kr (Korean only); www.visitseoul.net (Korean, English, Chinese, Japanese)
How to Get Here: Take Seoul Subway Line 3 to Anguk Station and take Exit 6. Walk straight for 100m
                                 and arrive at Insadong.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a good wandering around Insadong, we found ourselves near Cheonggyecheon 청계천 and ready for a coffee break! Since I had a good cafe hop the previous time I was here, I decided to try something I'm familiar with - the good ol' lady in green =)

View from the Starbucks next to Cheonggyecheon 청계천
Green Tea Cream Frappucino 그린 티 크림 프라푸치노

Dinner Time: 
You can't go to Korea and not have KFC (that's Korean Fried Chicken rather than the Colonel's specialty!)


The battered chicken is extra crispy (a clear distinction of Korean Fried Chicken compared to any other fried chicken) while the chicken meat retains its juices and is absolutely tender. If you're going to Korea, I highly recommend that you try their Fried Chicken!

*TIP FOR SOLO TRAVELLERS: if you happen to stay in a guesthouse or hostel and make friends there, ask the rest if they would like to try some Fried Chicken! The portions of Fried Chicken in Korea are rather large and unless you're a big eater its rather much for one person! Also, its fun to enjoy good food with good company!

Stay tuned to Day 2 Part 2 where I braved the crowds alone and went to see the Seoul Lantern Festival after my sumptuous fulfilling dinner of Korean Fried Chicken!

Fly Safe and Eat Happy,
V

No comments:

Post a Comment