Monday 5 January 2015

Seoul 2014: Day 3 (Itaewon Freedom 이태원 프리덤)

Hey there wanderlusters! Thanks for staying tuned to the Seoul 2014 series! OR Thanks for clicking on this and taking a look at my post!

This is a continuation from my previous post Seoul 2014: Day 2 Part 2 (Seoul Lantern Festival 2014 서울빛초롱축제 2014). You can click on the link to check out my previous post.

Have you heard this song? Click on the video below to check it out.


This song is just so catchy and its about Itaewon in Korea, a place where foreigners in Korea congregate. Its full of Western and international eateries, and very very OPEN social hangouts.

Since my Korean friend was the one who introduced me to this song, he took me to Itaewon to check out the place and witness it for myself.

Alight at Itaewon Station 이태원역 which is on Line 6 of the Seoul Subway system.
Wandering the streets of Itaewon 이태원. Its more common to see foreigners, but there are still more Koreans here than foreigners.

See what I mean by open? Korea is actually a rather traditional country but in Itaewon 이태원 you can find gay clubs, transgender clubs etc. etc.


Finally after taking the longest time to decide on what to eat, we settled on Thai-Chinese food.
(I KNOW RIGHT?! ITAEWON FREEDOM TOTALLY! HAHA HAVING THAI FOOD IN KOREA)
This restaurant is owned by Hong Seok-Cheon 홍석천. HSC is Korea's most openly gay celebrity (in this conservative country). He's really funny as a comedian and extremely business-minded (he owns many restaurants).

Pad Thai Noodles (Many Shrimps Alert!)

People-watching from the restaurant window located on the 2nd floor.


My must-order at all Thai restaurants to check if they have good standards - Minced Pork with Basil. This was really good (spicy but good) although I wouldn't say that it is authentically Thai nor Thai-Chinese. It still tastes good though. I finished this dish gratified!
Some dishes are rather affordable here, especially for the Itaewon district.
My verdict? Prices for some dishes are really value-for-money so I do recommend this place especially if you're in the mood for something spicy. The concept of the place is pretty eclectic hippy and simple. I heard that HSC only hires good-looking waiters in his restaurants so perhaps that could be something you look out for when you go to his restaurants.

My Thai China (Itaewon Branch)
118-20 Itaewon-dong, Seoul
Telephone:
+82-2-749-9287
HOW TO GET HERE: From Itaewon Station Exit 1, take the first right up the hill next to the Hamilton
                                    Hotel. At the T-intersection/T-junction, turn left. My Thai China is 50 meters up
                                    on your right, located just past Sam Ryan's.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





Namsan Tower in the distance!
There were many churros stalls all over but this one was undoubtedly the most crowded!


Absolutely fell in love with this quote -
"Her loving hands,
                       soft lips and perfumed scents
                     were an addiction for which
he had no cure"

                              Travis Luedke
LOVE is intoxicating. LOVE uses all your senses.

Autumn paves the ground with yellow.
I couldn't decide up till recently if this was a deliberate attempt to cover up a mistake, or if the sign is actually meant to look like that. Uploading this photo now, I realised that looking at the smaller sign behind, it was the correction of a spelling MISTAKE!
Problem Solved = )
Explored our fill and we left. I headed alone to Myeongdong to do some shopping and exploring.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Street-food Munching and ticked this baby off my street-food list. Gyeran-bbang 계란빵 which literally means Egg Bread. So good and comforting on a cold winter day. I'm going to attempt this recipe on my own one day.


Sundae-bokki 순대볶이. An acquired taste for most people but I really love it. Sundae 순대 (pronounced as Soon-dae) is a Korean dish made generally by boiling or steaming cow or pig's intestines that are stuffed with various ingredients. Most people are put off by the innards taste that you get when eating intestines. This dish I ordered combines Sundae with Tteokbokki 떡볶이(spicy rice cake) Sauce and covers up that taste. The slightly spicy and sweet red sauce with the sundae is so so good! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED STREET FOOD!
Gimbap/Kimbap 김밥 is made from steamed white rice (bap) and various other ingredients, rolled in gim (sheets of dried laver seaweed) and served in bite-size slices. It resembles the Japanese sushi, but instead of using vinegar to season the rice, sesame oil is used instead. Common fillings include yellow pickles, carrots etc.

Then it was time to call it an early night and rest up.

Stay tuned to the next post where I go check out the Olympic Park in Seoul!


Till then,

Fly Safe and Eat Happy,
V

No comments:

Post a Comment