Monday 25 September 2023

Taipei 2016 (Food Extravaganza): Day 1 (Arrival + Din Tai Fung + Nap + Shihlin Night Market)

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've posted 

Everyone knows that Taipei is the land of delicious food. Putting on weight when you travel there is pretty much guaranteed (especially when street food is available anywhere). Even though I do walk a lot when I am there, it's certainly not enough cardio to balance out all the food I consume (Although, truth be told, I think it helps prevent me from getting a major shock when I weigh myself upon returning; just a little). 

Since I had just graduated from university back in 2016, this was my graduation trip of sorts? Or to put it simply, I was able to travel in January since I had not yet secured a full-time job at this time. With this quick timeline, I decided to make a quick pit-stop in the beautiful land of Taiwan before I began my official job search. 

 


The cheapest flights from Singapore to Taipei are usually in the wee hours of the morning (which means that you arrive at around 7-8am at Taoyuan International Airport). That's great! More exploring for me! you may think. However, having done this a few times, I would caution you to think carefully. Hotels mostly open for check-in at around 2-3pm in the afternoon. While you can deposit your luggage in the hotel first to do some exploring and return in the afternoon, do bear in mind that Taipei is not quite the best place for morning/day-time activities (unless you're up for a morning walk through the market, or wish to go for a hike up their mountains). Most stores are not open yet as well so shopping would be out of the question. 

In my past experience, I usually wander around with my travel mates as shops gradually open. 

This time, I decided to start off my trip by heading to the original Din Tai Fung (to queue) once I had deposited my luggage with the hotel. 

First Meal: A visit to the Din Tai Fung Flagship Store! Definitely a worthwhile meal. The food is delicious and the service amazing. I heard each waitress speak in 3 languages fluently (Mandarin, English and Japanese) but believe that its possible they know a 4th too (Korean).

Instead of just black vinegar and soy sauce like we get in Singapore, you get rice vinegar and soy sauce which they recommend you combine in a 3:1 ratio to accompany your ginger.

A must-order for me: Shaoxing Hainanese Drunken Chicken

Din Tai Fung serves their Xiao Long Bao with crab roe as well so if you're feeling a
little bougie, you can splurge for just a few yuan more.

Can't come to Din Tai Fung and not try out their egg fried rice. My travel partner and I deemed the
pork chop not to be a necessity and opted for the cheaper version with shredded meat instead.

The regular Xiao Long Bao is always comforting.

Hygienic and efficient, with each person manning a station.


鼎泰豐The Original Din Tai Fung
No. 194, Section 2, Xinyi Road, Taipei | 台北市信義路第2 194
Tel: +886 2 2321 8928 | Operating Hours:  Mon to Fri: 10am – 9pm   
                                                                     Sat & Sun: 9am – 9pm

 

 

After a hearty lunch, it was time to return to the hotel for an afternoon nap (since taking a red-eye flight is draining), and by nightfall, it was time to hit the world-famous Shihlin Night Market!

From Taipei Main Station alight at Jiantan Station, Exit 1.  (台北捷運信義 towards Danshui/Beitou Station – 5 stops). Head north on Jihe Road基河 (91m), then turn left to stay on 基河 (230m).
*Shihlin Market Opening Hours: about 5pm-12am

If you're getting to Shihlin Night Market, don't make the mistake of alighting at Shihlin Station. Instead, get off at Jiantan Station which is much nearer to the actual night market.

First order of business: Prince Cheese Potato! This shop is right in front of the pedestrian walkway from Jiantan Station to Shihlin Night Market.

These are 2016 prices! Please adjust for inflation accordingly. I'll usually get the combo which has everything.


Potatoes are mashed, moulded, battered and deep fried to a crisp. Then cut open and stuffed with toppings before being smothered in a savoury delicious nacho cheese sauce.




A slightly emptier alley in Shihlin Night Market


This was a gem of an eatery in Shihlin Night Market! The travel partner had a craving for Smelly Tofu 臭豆腐 and he said, "The next shop that sells it, I'll buy it." which is how we chanced upon this shop!


This is their signature Taiwan Omelette (we ordered mixed - prawn and oysters)! The oysters were so fat and juicy without a fishy taste and the omelette is the best I've had in Taipei!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!


忠誠號仔煎Zhong Cheng Hao Oyster Omelette
No. 15–32, Dadong Rd, Shilin District, Taipei City, Taiwan, 111 |
台北市士林區大東路15-32
Contact: +880-2-2883-8833
Opening Hours: 4pm–1am (Weekdays), 3pm–1am (Weekends)
 

  • Try their Oyster Omelette, Smelly Tofu, Tempura (Taiwan-style)


With full stomachs, we walked around for a bit to see what was on sale before heading back to the hotel to rest for the night. Foodie day 1 completed! 

Stay tuned for Day 2 where we head to a fabulous hotpot restaurant and head to Raohe in the evening. 


Fly safe and eat happy,

V

No comments:

Post a Comment