Thursday 28 September 2023

Perth 2016: Food Haunts + A Caffeine-lover's Journey

Is Perth a place with good food? Good coffee? Some say yes, while others have trouble answering. 

I had planned to write a post about what one can do while in Perth, but looking through my photographs from my graduation trip in 2016, I realised that I don't have much to go on so what we're going to do is just collate some good spots together in one post. 

My main goal in Perth was to sample different cafes and the coffees they offered. I also wanted to try out some restaurants or have one my final meals at my favourite spots in Perth before leaving this time since it would be a long time till I go back again. I was able to do coffee hunting only on certain days. Some places may not be around anymore so please do your due diligence before heading down. 


Harvest Espresso, Victoria Park





This is a hot favourite, even for locals. The coffee and drinks are spectacular and so is breakfast. The place is abuzz with activity from the moment they open and everything is prepared impeccably. I'd recommend it if you're thinking of heading to Victoria Park. 



Ciao Italia, South Perth



Any student who has spent time in Perth will tell you all about Ciao Italia. While they did have a couple of branches a while back, I did some research for a recent trip and they have two outlets now. One is the main and original shop at Mill Point Road in South Perth, while the other is Ciao Italia Express at Myaree. I'd highly recommend the calamari, the Ciao Italia fettuccine and their famous tiramisu.


The Mallard Duck, Swan Valley





My father recommended this place because he usually dines here with his golfing buddies (there are a couple of golf courses in the Swan Valley area).



Bucking Bull, Multiple locations in Perth mall food courts




Bucking Bull is another one of my father's recommendations for those who love a good roast but don't want to go to the hassle of doing so yourself. They have crackling pork skin if you'd prefer something with more crunch but it can be too salty at times.



Took Bae Gi, Perth City
 








Took Bae Gi is hands down one of my favourite Korean places to dine at in Perth, nay my favourite. It's budget-friendly, fuss-free, and they offer certain dishes which you may have trouble finding outside of Korea or other Korean restaurants/stalls. Every dish is delicious, and everyone leaves with full and happy stomachs. I highly recommend this: particularly to Asians who need some rice/noodles after a few days of vacation in a Western nation.



 
Jaws Sushi, Perth City
 




When my friends and I were studying, we chanced upon the fact that Jaws Sushi had an all-you-can-eat buffet on Saturday evenings. Back then, that was amazing. As much Japanese food as we could eat? And everything tasted good? So worth it. They still have this buffet but you are limited to 50 minutes of dining time. If you're a quick eater though, this is worth trying out. 


Grill'd Burgers, multiple locations around Perth
 

 
I never knew the appeal behind grass-fed beef till I tried Grill'd Burgers and you can truly taste the difference. You can choose from a whole range of flavours, buns and their sweet potato fries/chips are hand-cut and FABULOUS. It's a must-eat every time I return to Perth.
 
 
 
Crib Lane, Perth City
 


A hole in the wall spot I found completely by chance. There's some counter seating but most get their coffees to go. They do have some unique flavours too.


The Wolf Espresso, Perth City

 




This shop definitely looks different now in 2023 but they focus on serving raw food and catering to those on the paleo diet too. Coffee was decent and sipping on coffee by the wolf's lane is a real treat.



Lowdown, Perth City

 



Among all the coffee haunts, this was the most efficient and fuss-free, possibly because it's surrounded by office buildings and is located in one. The coffee was good, the service quick yet friendly, and there's ample seating for you. 


And that's it for my recommendations in Perth! These stores still exist so you can visit them if you're planning a trip to Perth or heading there for your studies. 


Till then, 

Fly safe and eat happy, 

V


 


No comments:

Post a Comment